Sunday, September 30, 2012

9/29/12 SA Race 2 - Horse Watch

As regular readers of this blog already know from some of my prior posts, I have a (perhaps unhealthy) interest in longshot claims; that is, horses claimed in a race where they went to post at long odds, and then performed as expected by the public.  I guess my fascination is in the mystery: What do the new connections think they see that the public and the horse's prior connections don't?  And whose judgement will prove to be the correct one?

So, with that as background, I report that Big Man in Black (whom I am reasonably certain was not named for me) was claimed by Trainer Carla Gaines out of Race 2 Saturday at Santa Anita.  Saturday's race, a Maiden Claiming ($20k) was Big Man in Black's fourth career start.  He went to post at Final Odds of 10.6-1, and finished eighth, over twenty lengths behind the winner.  In his three prior starts, Big Man in Black had finished eighth, fifth, and sixth.

Now, I have no idea what the new connections see in this horse that others do not; but I sure am curious to find out.  One thing I can say for certain is that Big Man in Black does have a lot of class in his genes.  His sire, Southern Image, won three Grade One Stakes, in a career in which he won six out of eight tries, without ever finishing out of the money.  Big Man in Black's damsire is Lord Avie, also a three time Grade One Stakes winner.  So the potential for success is there; now let's see if Big Man in Black's new connections can draw it out of him.

Peace and Love,

Jimbo

No comments: