Wednesday, March 15, 2023

3/15/23 Turfway Park Late Pick Four - Preview

“The price of doing the same old thing is far higher than the price of change.” - Bill Clinton

Wednesday racing is back in Florence, KY this week, as an extra racing date has been added to replace one that was previous lost due to foul weather.  In other news, I've also decided to modify how I write these previews.  Since I now give my Selections in chart form in these previews, I don't see any practical reason to type out each horse's name for each leg in the sequence.  So that part of the preview has been eliminated; though I will still provide a brief comment (as appropriate) for each race.  As always, please let me know what you think of this change; either in the comments below; or, if you disdain publicity, via email.  So with all that let's get to it, as I take another run at The Late Pick Four at Turfway Park.

RACE 5 - Alw 5000s - Eight Furlongs Synthetic

Scratch # 4 The Boss Factor (Morning Line 8-1); # 10 High Powered (ML 15-1); # 11 Mr. Peterkin (ML 12-1); and # 12 Mason A. P. (ML 15-1)

This contest has an interesting condition of eligibility, as the timing of when an entrant needed to have been available to be claimed for $5k (or less) is not based upon the calendar, but rather upon that specific runner's timeline.  Quoting from the conditions, "For four year olds and upward which have started for a claiming price of $5k or less in their last five starts."  I can't recall ever seeing eligibility for a Starter Allowance written in such a fashion.  Regardless of whether this condition is new, or just new to me, I'm giving kudos to the Racing Secretary at Turfway Park for showing some creativity in filling out the program.

As to the race itself, I went two deep on the main ticket.  I faded the Morning Line Favorite, # 2 Kentucky Cool (ML 5-2), dropping him down to C+ status.  Kentucky Cool's most recent start is simply leaps and bounds above everything else that he accomplished last year (2022), and was achieved versus a field much weaker than the competition that Kentucky Cool will be facing this evening.

But despite all that, Kentucky Cool could sneak off with some easy fractions if he gets the lead in the early going.  So, in my opinion, C+ status is appropriate.

RACE 6 - Md $50k - Six and a Half Furlongs Synthetic

Hey, if you can find an excuse to make a 10-1 shot your A Selection you gotta go for it; right?  # 2 Grimes (ML 10-1) disappointed last time out as the Post Time Favorite because he found two turns to be too much after leading the field in the opening phases of  the contest.  Does the turnback in distance  guarantee Grimes victory tonight?  No; of course not.  But at 10-1, is does guarantee Grimes the top spot among my Selections for this race.

RACE 7 - (F) Clm $7.5k N3L - Eight Furlongs Synthetic

Another long shot tops my Selections, as I've made # 1 Kick Out the Jams (ML 10-1) my "A" Selection for this contest.  Here, making Kick Out the Jams my top pick owes a great deal to the skepticism I have towards Morning Line Favorite # 2 Ya Beauty (GB) (ML 7-2).  Mind you, I'm not so skeptical of Ya Beauty's chances to leave her off my main ticket; but by the same token, I think that, despite the class relief, Ya Beauty doesn't sufficiently tower over this this field to make her a big ticket single.  The tote board may give some insight as to how her connections view Ya Beauty's chances; but, of course, since this is the third leg of the sequence, that'll be of no benefit to myself and other Late Pick Four players.

RACE 8 - Clm $7.5k N3L - Eight Furlongs Synthetic

Scratch # 5 Round of Applause (ML 12-1)

Conditions the same as for the preceding contest, except this race is written for males (as well as adventurous females.  I'm only using two from this field on my main ticket.  In a manner similar to the above, I have a price on top, # 8 T J Munnings (ML 6-1), with the Morning Line Favorite, # 11 Panorama Truck (ML 3-1) directly below.  T J Munnings is reuniting with the rider who was onboard when last he won; an angle that's difficult for me to pass up, especially at 6-1.

Okay; that's the commentary.  Here, in beautiful living color, are all my Selections:

PICK FOUR"A" SELECTIONS"B+" SELECTIONS"B" SELECTIONS"C+" SELECTIONS"C" SELECTIONS
LEG 15,32,81,13,14
LEG 22,1,3,64,5,7,8
LEG 31,2,6,1037,8,11
LEG 48,11,4,73,6,13

And here's how those Selections translate into tickets, using a variation of the Crist method:

All A Entries

$1.00 P4: 5 with 2 with 1 with 8 $1.00

All A Entries with All B+ Entries

$1.00 P4: 5 with 1,2 with 1,2 with 8,11 $8.00

All A Entries with All B Entries

$0.50 P4: 3,5 with 1,2 with 1,2,6,10 with 8,11 $16.00

A's and B+'s with One C+

$0.50 P4: 2,8 with 1,2 with 1,2 with 8,11 $8.00
$0.50 P4: 5 with 3,6 with 1,2 with 8,11 $4.00
$0.50 P4: 5 with 1,2 with 3 with 8,11 $2.00
$0.50 P4: 5 with 1,2 with 1,2 with 4,7 $4.00

A's with One C

$0.50 P4: 1,13,14 with 2 with 1 with 8 $1.50
$0.50 P4: 5 with 4,5,7,8 with 1 with 8 $2.00
$0.50 P4: 5 with 2 with 7,8,11 with 8 $1.50
$0.50 P4: 5 with 2 with 1 with 3,6,13 $1.50

Total: $49.50

Post Time for Race 5 is 7:55 EDT / 4:55 PDT.  Good luck to all.

Peace and Love,

Jimbo

No comments: